Transient Students to Other Institutions

Outgoing Transient Students

Definition: Daytona State College students currently enrolled in a degree or certificate program who want to take courses at another regionally accredited institution, to apply the credits at DSC to fulfill remaining program graduation requirements. DSC is the home institution, while the other institution is the host institution.

Outgoing transient students must:

  1. Be currently enrolled in a degree or certificate program at DSC with graduation credit requirements remaining.
  2. Be in good academic, financial and judicial standing, with no absolute holds.
  3. Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better. (First-semester DSC students also must be co-enrolled in Daytona State College courses.)
  4. Be able to apply their transient course requests toward current degree or certificate requirements at DSC.
  5. Already have met all placement requirements and pre-requisites for the requested courses. If applicable, test scores for placement must not be expired.

For assistance in determining these guidelines, students are strongly encouraged to visit with an Academic Advisor at any Daytona State campus.

General transient information:

Students must remember that the college residency requirement is 25 percent of the degree requirements.

When applying for transiency, students may need to provide the Records Office with a course description for each transient course requested. This must accompany the Transient Form.

All tuition and fees owed to the host institution are to be paid directly to that institution. If applicable, potential reimbursement via financial aid would follow.

Students who attempt transient courses at a host institution must provide an official transcript with final grades from the host institution upon completion of the transient courses. Note: As an exception to our general transfer grade amnesty policy, all transient course attempts, including those with grades of F or W, will be posted to a student's Daytona State transcript.

How to apply to be a transient student:

Paper form

Students wishing to attend a private or out-of-state institution must submit a paper Transient Form to the Records Office. The form is available online or at any Daytona State campus. 

  1. If applicable, the student must have the approval of the associate of science/certificate program chairperson before the form can be processed.
  2. Students wishing to receive financial aid while taking courses at another college as a transient student must complete a consortium agreement indicating the course name, credits and cost. The agreement must be signed by the host institution and presented to the Daytona State Office of Financial Aid. Note: Effective in 2012-2013, Florida's public colleges and universities may have an overall consortium agreement administered by, so individual agreements may not be necessary.
  3. Students receiving veteran's benefits must obtain approval from the Veteran's Affairs Office.

Transferring courses back to Daytona State:

Failure to provide DSC with an official transcript from the host institution may affect a student's financial aid status, if applicable.

It is the student's responsibility to provide the Office of Admissions with an official transcript upon completion of approved coursework. Daytona State is not responsible for the acceptance of any credit other than the credits approved by Daytona State. Transient credit hours will be recorded on the Daytona State transcript and will be computed into the cumulative GPA.